25 March 2013

Monday Munch & Muse - Corn-Dog Muffins



The weather here in England is still RUBBISH.  It is so cold here that we can't leave the house without wearing layers and layers of clothes.  My son has been trying to fish, but it is so cold that we can't spend too much time outside.  

Being stuck indoors is starting to take its toll and we have all been ill over the past week - I am sure that this is a result of the general lack of fresh air.

Today Ollie was off school with stomach pains and I am still recovering from a mystery virus, so I decided that I would make him a snack that would be comforting but gentle on his tummy, as well as being not too taxing for me and my fuzzy head.

I have had these muffins on my pinterest board for ages now and I finally decided to make them.  I am not a hot-dog fan at all, (in fact I am completely freaked out by what might be in them), but the kids love them.  

They were super easy to pull together and only used a few ingredients.


I was able to use the lovely new measuring cups that I got for mother's day.  They are great, especially as so many recipes measure in cups rather than grammes (us englishies don't understand how much a cup is).



And they looked really funny as you put the in the oven with their little hot-dog pieces sticking up through the batter.


But once they were cooked they were absolutely delicious. ( I didn't eat the hot-dog bit though ).

I pinned my recipe from iowagirleats.com  - so thank you.



Mini Corn Dog Muffins

Makes 48 mini muffins
Corn bread recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com
Ingredients:
1/2 cup melted butter (or 1/4 cup butter + 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
8-10 all-beef hot dogs, cut into 1″ bites
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine butter and sugar in a bowl, and whisk to combine. Add eggs and whisk to incorporate. Add buttermilk and whisk to incorporate.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt, and stir to combine. Whisk into wet ingredients in two batches.
  3. Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray, and spoon 1 Tablespoon of batter into each mini muffin cup. Place one hot dog bite into the middle of each cup.
  4. Bake for 8-12 minutes (oven temperatures vary), or until cornbread is golden brown. Cool in mini muffin tin for 5 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator, and re-heat for 20-30 seconds before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs